Social Services Division
To create a society with strong families where its people are empowered to enjoy a good quality of life.
To work proactively and strategically with all stakeholders to promote a high standard of social functioning and inculcate a culture of self-reliance, responsibility, respect, commitment and tolerance in society.
FUNCTIONS OF THE 3 SECTIONS
Court, Adoption & Fostering Section
- Identify foster and adoptive parents.
- Arrange placements in foster homes following investigations.
- Facilitate the adoption process.
- Provide reports to the Courts and the Family Tribunal in relation to: custody, access, maintenance, guardianship, adoption, interdicted minor’s property and interdicted disabled adult’s property.
- Provide guidance and counseling to parties regarding children’s issues.
Community, Child Protection & Family Support Section
- Work with children and their families by providing services to dys-functional families to restore social functioning.
- Counsel, support and guide children and their families.
- Empower children to protect themselves.
- Protect abused children and those who are at risk of harm through clear intervention plans.
- Conduct preventive work regarding abuse of children.
- Register children who are at risk.
- Work in close collaboration and in partnership with child protection partners.
- Maintain society and alleviate social problems by providing the necessary assistance.
- Safeguard the interest of the weak and vulnerable groups.
- Assist individuals and groups to restore their social functioning.
- Provide support and counselling to families and children in the community.
- Cooperate with other community resources in the education of individuals and families with regard to social forces which affect them.
- Provide assistance to senior citizens.
- Counsel families to take responsibility and care for their elderly parents.
- Empower service users to better fulfil their potentials.
- Man the Children’s Helpline
Monitoring and Compliance Section
- Assure the suitability of people wanting to work with children in line with the Regulations.
- Ensure that stakeholders and employing Organisations, Non-Government Organisations exercise due diligence to safe guard children.
- Engage in processing formalities to screen potential candidates and people working in child related field.
- Monitor and inspect Children’s Care Homes to ensure that implementation of the minimum sets of standards that embody the best interest of the child principle.